The Fine Wood Work Association (WA) Inc. (FWWA) was founded at Karri Valley in Western Australia's South West in 1987 following a meeting of craftspeople interested in establishing an association which would encompass all forms of fine woodwork rather than a single aspect e.g. turning. Since 1992 the Association has been based in metropolitan Perth but has members in a number of rural and regional areas.
The Association is self-funding and obtains its operating income from membership fees and operating the "Out of the Woods" Competition and Exhibition at the Perth Wood Show each year in co-operation with True Blue Exhibitions.
The Association welcomes as members all those who have a love of fine timber craftsmanship and the desire to create quality woodwork. This includes anyone who aspires to improve their skills, as well as those who are already expert crafts people.
Our members have interests in all aspects of woodwork including furniture, boxes, veneering, carving, turning and other work. Many of our members have interests covering more than one area of woodwork and the level of expertise ranges from professional to weekend amateur, from award winner to beginners, both men and women.
We conduct monthly practical meetings and demonstrations at various locations throughout the Perth metropolitan area and have recently established a storage facility at the Wandi community centre. Wandi is the location of a number of wood related interested groups and also has meeting, workshop and barbecue facilities.
The objectives of the FWWA are:
- To promote excellence in woodcraft by sharing skills and knowledge
- To promote awareness of Western Australian timber craft excellence, most importantly through the "Out of the Woods" Competition and Exhibition each year
- To act as an information database for members, professionals and the general public
- To act as a lobby group for the interests of the Western Australian wood craft industry
- To have links with other interest groups, associations and crafts people throughout Australia.
For more information please contact the Secretary.